Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Incidents 3

Reading on in Incidents I become further wrapped up in the story. I have personally never been one to enjoy anything historical or  anything like a biography, but this story draws me in. When I first started reading although Jacobs' writing style intriguer me, it did make me love the book. However, now, as I read, how Jacobs writes, she does so in a way that devoid all of her feelings but instead, it seems as if she wants you to pull your own emotion from the words. To me, it is in this way that she makes the story interesting and leaves more room for the reader to feel, imagine, conclude.

Aside from this, I also wondered about something. Jacobs, the paragraphs on Dr. Flint, your grandmother and you brother and children, did you really know what was going on? Or did you simply have a rather thin knowledge and filled in the blanks with what you felt was possible to have happened during your absence. What I mean is, around page 105 and the beginning of page 106, she writes of an encounter between her grandmother and Dr. Flint. She uses dialog in the writing. Dr. Flint said, "I saw your light, and thought I would just stopp and tell you that I have found out where Linda is" (105). She writes this but, she couldn't have known exactly what Dr. Flint would have said. After all, she was in hiding. It seems to me that this could have been based off of a real situation which she heard from someone else but that means there could also be other parts such as this later on in the book.

Timmii

No comments:

Post a Comment